Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Multiple UpdatePanel issue request at a same time

Hi all,

I have a page contains more than one UpdatePanel with different triggers and I followed the method here to handle multiple requests:

http://ajax.asp.net/docs/tutorials/ExclusiveAsyncPostback.aspx

When one of the UpdatePanels has been triggered and refreshing, all the requests from other UpdatePanels in the page will be cancelled since prm.get_isInAsyncPostBack() returns true until the first request has been processed.

Are there any method to invoke multiple requests at the same time? Or else the user has to wait until the first request to be done before he/she can issue new requests with the other panels. I can accept the requests to be queued up and pending to be patched, but the PageRequestManager seems simply drops the previous or new requests depends on the implementation in the block:

if (prm.get_isInAsyncPostBack()) {
// drop new request or abort previous request
}

FYI, I found simliar post here:http://forums.asp.net/thread/1413005.aspx

Thank you.

HI Kylo,

I wondered the same thing. From all my reading, you can only send out one request at a time using the update panel. The only true asynchronous way to use asp.net AJAX is through web services. By default, the update seems to execute the latest request that was given and drop the previous.


Thanks for the reply, bebandit. In my case, I was converting a .NET 1.1 project to 2.0 to gain the benefit of easily adding ajax capabilities to the web application. UpdatePanel handles all ajax call, DOM manipulation and the UI rendering for me. If I have to write the client side web services call and UI refreshing HTML myself (not to mention to change some of the server side logic to web method as well), it would take too much development time and not worth to do in my business logic. Seem that I have to wait to see if there will be a truely "Asynchronous UpdatePanel" in the later release or I will look for the other AJAX libraries.


Thanks for the reply, bebandit. In my case, I was converting a .NET 1.1 project to 2.0 to gain the benefit of easily adding ajax capabilities to the web application. UpdatePanel handles all ajax call, DOM manipulation and the UI rendering for me. If I have to write the client side web services call and UI refreshing HTML myself (not to mention to change some of the server side logic to web method as well), it would take too much development time and not worth to do in my business logic. Seem that I have to wait to see if there will be a truely "Asynchronous UpdatePanel" in the future release or I will look for the other AJAX libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment